View Single Post

Old 08-06-2012, 01:55 PM

Total Downloaded: 54.96 MB
Updated version with improved fabric texturing

Now that I've learned a method for making translucent fabric over wood structures (this post in the Fi-1 sailplane thread), I could not resist applying it to the Inka glider, which is nothing but fabric over wood. Here's what the new wings looks like:

And here's what the same wing looked like in the previous version, just to be able to make a comparison:

I think the new wings look more exciting and more realistic. Here's what the fin and stab look like now:

The challenge here was to do something about the national insignia banner on the fin, so that it, too, would be a bit translucent, while simultaneously shadowed where the fabric did not have any wood to support it.

Those wanting to replicate it, just to learn the technique, will benefit from the tech notes at the end of this post.

The download

You will find the updated version of the 1/16 scale model in the downloads section under Aviation - Civilian. Here's the specific download link for the Inka glider. It will be available as soon as it clears the moderation queue (uploaded 6 Aug ca 20.00 GMT). (Make sure you get the updated version - I cannot see for myself, whether the version in the downloads section is the old or updated one. The new one says "Updated version with improved fabric texturing" in the first sentence of the text.)

I have deleted the various other scales, since these were just downscaled versions of the 1/16 version, no other changes. You can very easily print in other scales:

Printing & rescaling

1/16 scale: The original model was 1/25 scale. The 1/16 scale download is formatted for a paper size of 42 x 21,6 cm, which is A3 length cut down to the maximum width of an ordinary A4-Letter inkjet writer. If you have an A3 printer, no problems, you will just get a bit of surplus paper. If you have an ordinary inkjet printer, cut your own sheets from A3 or similar. Use a paper weight of ca 200g/sqm. That usually means a thickness of ca 0.25 mm.

1/24 scale: Print at 67%. This is a common scale for some commercial printed models which could be used as tug aircraft for a nice diorama.

1/25 scale: Print at 64%. This is the scale of Mitja Sersen Ermans original model.

For both of these scales you can use either US Letter or European A4 size paper sizes. There will be some extra white spaces, of course, top & bottom.

1/33 scale: Print at 48%. You can use portrait orientation of your paper and print 2 pages per sheet.

Texturing tech notes

I still think it is difficult to achieve some absolute standard for the various settings. I had to experiment a bit again, which makes me insecure every time. Here's the settings I arrived at this time (for a more detailed tutorial, see this post in the Fi-1 sailplane thread).

Fabric base layer: Regular fabric CMYK 10-10-50-15. Opacity: 25%.

Fabric pattern layer: Regular fabric CMYK 10-10-50-15. Opacity: 25%.
Inner glow: Normal - CMYK 0-0-0-0 - Opacity 100 - Blur 5mm - Center

Insignia (fin) base layer: Blue-white-red, opacity 75%. This is to leave a hint of the wood below.

Insignia (fin) pattern layer: 50% grey. Opacity 50 percent. The grey is a new feature. Best I could come up with to handle differing various colours over the same area of non-supported fabric.
Inner glow: Normal - CMYK 0-0-0-0 - Opacity 100 - Blur 2mm - Center (same as fabric pattern, but only 2 mm blur)

All figures and terms refer to settings in Adobe Illustrator.
Attached Thumbnails
Inka II Slovenian 1937-38 vintage glider-wing-new-version.jpg   Inka II Slovenian 1937-38 vintage glider-wing-old-version.jpg   Inka II Slovenian 1937-38 vintage glider-fin-stab.jpg  

Last edited by Leif Ohlsson; 08-06-2012 at 02:08 PM.