View Single Post

Old 08-17-2012, 10:46 PM

Total Downloaded: 357.33 MB
The Last Bulkhead Made

A little installment tonight;

I reinforced and cut the important last bulkhead or wall which will face the after deck, and I also began cutting out the openings for the entrance doors on the both of the hull sides. Nothing is glued yet, of course - only a dry-fitting so far. I haven't made the final contour cut yet, which I will do later with a new, thin scalpel blade, so this first rough cut is about a millimeter or so from the drawn lines. Here in the photo is the last (aft-facing) bulkhead):

Above you can also perhaps see that I separated the small part that will sit at the aft end of the stern, where the name of the ship is - N O M A D I C -
C H E R B O U R G, and rounded it off for later. There are long sections of black bumper rails (steel plate) along the sides of the ship, and I colored the backside of these parts with a black Sharpie, and will reinforce them with several layers of black card to the correct thickness later. They are to be bevelled or rounded off at the ends. When the model is finished, I will also try to find eight tiny rubber tires, from some small scale model cars or trucks, to hang in thin threads around the hull, just like the tire bumpers on the real ship. Here are the rough-cut holes for the mid deck entrance doors:

I also started thinking about making provisions for electrical wiring at the bottom of the hull. I haven't yet decided if I should go down the path of internal lights, but I might as well make holes in the bulkeads and in the bottom plate at this point. If I do go ahead with this, I will have to put a very thin black foil or paper on the inside of the hull halves, before punching any portholes and cutting any windows. To the left of the model are the long 'bumper' irons:

You can see the hole 'test punch' in the paper to the right, made with a regular A4 paper filing hole puncher. I have decided, by the way, to make the bottom plate from a colored card that has the same color as the dark rust-red antifouling color of the lower hull at the waterline. This will be visible and I don't know at this point how I will make the water around the model in the future sea diorama next year, but it would be very nice to NOT have a thin line of white paper shining through...

And now for some sleep - good night,
Bengt