View Single Post

Old 01-11-2009, 01:44 AM

Location: Northern Bear Flag Republic (Known as Water World in L.A.)
Total Downloaded: 11.99 MB
He's Diseased!...,

Will,

You've got one of the worst cases of "homebuilder gottas" I've ever seen. Not to worry, it's one of the greatest of all diseases and has only one cure...,

I suggest Jack Lambies book on composites if you haven't got it already:

Amazon.com: Composite Construction for Homebuilt Aircraft: The Basic Handbook of Composite Aircraft Aerodynamics, Construction, Maintenance and Repair Plus, How-To and Design Information: Jack Lambie: Books

I built a thermal regulator for hotwire cutting out of 12 V battery charger and a 1500 Watt light dimmer switch. Wire the dimmer into the primary winding of the transformer. Dimmers can be used on battery chargers just as long as you don't try running any inductive loads on it (inductive as in dc motors) so you still have a battery charger when needed. As per Shrike you'll need the "U" shaped cutter nichrome or a good substitute is aircraft safety wire. Also get a shop vac otherwise you'll have foam bits all over everything you own. Quick prototyping with foam is very addictive. Don't even bother with covering just spray it with latex house paint an go fly it (electric powered, right?).

Keep us posted often...,

+Gil

P.S. Nice little Sky Cycle design...,