View Single Post

Old 09-16-2012, 12:14 PM

Total Downloaded: 474.31 MB
Quote:
Originally Posted by ct ertz View Post
Here is a page from my 1/150 scale model. I am going to whiten the sails though. All of these signal flags are taken from a number of sources but I have no idea what flag is what letter or number, as they change constantly!

The flag is the 1861-1863 flag with 34 stars. The fleet flag and the commission pendant are correct for the first half of the war as well. I think these details at the large scale will add a lot!

I think this is the right placement for the flags. If I am wrong please let me know. I may add a bow flag mast for the fleet flag though. Not sure.

Corey
Looking great, Corey!

Actually signal flags at least as they are used today are base on standard phonetic symbols which are fairly constant and international in nature, used for conveying various meanings when used singly or in combinations. Navies use them to convey a series of coded messages to the fleet using a preset code book when radio silence is desired. I know the type and nature of some flags have evolved over time, replacing pennant shaped with rectangular, and borrowing flags from various nations into the internationally used set, the premise for communication between international ships sort of requires they have standard meaning to be of any real use. I'm sure the old Navy salts out there can clarify and correct me, but this is my understanding as a merchant mariner.

You might find this page of some interest on this subject: http://www.crwflags.com/fotw/flags/xf~sfh.html#history

Cheers!
Jim