View Single Post

Old 09-30-2012, 09:32 PM

Total Downloaded: 83.93 MB
A look at the stern area reveals complex hull contours that present challenges using simple unfolding. Examination of the hull shows three distinct divisions of hull contours: bow, amidships and stern. We can break the hull into these divisions and treat each one separately!

I chose the stern division and started by generating the full hull, port and starboard sides. The keel was then clearly defined and the hull was sliced vertically through the length of the hull segment producing a series of formers. I then sliced the hull in a vertical direction producing a series of hull contours. Pulling the formers, hull contours, and keel out, we can also work with them separately and at the same time, use them in a three dimensional exploded hull view.

Initial examination shows that we may have oversampled the formers, but at the same time we missed what could be two critical formers. These two formers were added, both in the formers and in the exploded view. The hull contours may be oversampled, but not to the degree the formers are.

We must be careful in making the oversampling judgment as scale rears its head at this point and gives one a handle to help evaluate the oversampling question. For the time being, I will use 1/250 scale.

More to come,

fishBait
Attached Thumbnails
CSS Whoisit, CT ERTZ and fishBait joint project-sternview.jpg   CSS Whoisit, CT ERTZ and fishBait joint project-3hullparts.jpg   CSS Whoisit, CT ERTZ and fishBait joint project-stern-exploaded-view-1.jpg   CSS Whoisit, CT ERTZ and fishBait joint project-stern-exploaded-view-2.jpg  
Schauen mit den Augen nicht die Hände!