View Single Post

Old 10-17-2012, 07:33 AM

Total Downloaded: 29.49 MB
WB-57F Oddball-1:48 build

This will be a build of the General Dynamics RB/WB-57F, also sometimes called the "Longwing", "Droopy" or "Intruder".

The kit is by OddBall productions, Aaron Murphy, and is available with the USAF and early NASA liveries. The kit is released in 1:48 scale , with 14 pages of parts with an instruction, and cover sheet for a total of 16 sheets.

WB-57F Oddball-1:48 build-gd-martin-rb-57f-cover-reduced.jpg

I was asked by Aaron to do a test build of the USAF and NASA versions earlier this year. There were some minor design and graphic changes made prior to release. Both models are available through ecardmodels.com as downloadable PDF files.

The kit markings represent USAF s/n 63-13502, it was the subject of several USAF and General Dynamics official Photo Ops.

WB-57F Oddball-1:48 build-13502-usaf-photo-600.jpg

Adobe Illustrator was used to alter the kit markings to represent USAF 63-13296 because I saw and photographing this particular ac while it was stationed at Kirtland AFB in the late '60s early '70's. I wanted my model to represent this specific aircraft. I also made several minor alterations specific to this aircraft as some excellent reference photos are available from government and private sources.

WB-57F Oddball-1:48 build-wb-57f-peter-de-groot.jpg
Used with permission of photographer Peter de Groot/Airliners.net

Both 13502 and 13296 spent their last days at AMARC-'The Boneyard' and were scrapped in the mid '70's.

WB-57F Oddball-1:48 build-amarc-boneyard-wb-57f-area.jpg

BRIEF HISTORY Of the RB/WB-57F:
In 1955, the Martin Aircraft Co., using the British designed, B-57 Canberra bomber, developed a high-altitude version of the B-57 attack bomber. RB-57Ds were used for high-altitude and electronic reconnaissance until being grounded in 1963. An advanced high-altitude version, the RB-57F, was then developed. General Dynamics modified 21 B-57 A's B's, and D's from 1964-66. On June 18, 1964, the first RB/WB-57F was delivered. The original designation, RB (reconnaissance/Spy version) was changed sometime in the late '60's to WB (Weather version), roughly when the plane was being transferred to the 58th Weather Reccon Squadron, Kirtland AFB, Albuquerque, NM.

When the 58th WRS was disbanded in 1975 the remaining WB-57F's were sent to long-term storage at Davis-Monthan AFB (AMARC) near Tuscon, AZ. NASA acquired several, as many as 3, at one point in time and has used them on a regular basis for all kinds of projects around the world. As of this writing, two are still flying with rumors of another being removed from Tuscon and being refurbished, somewhere in the Boulder-Denver area, for NASA use...anyone know anything more about this?

Personal Note: I lived in Albuquerque from 1951-1974, and my dad was an equipment/sensor designer at Sandia Labs at that time. He designed several of the sensors that were flown in the WB-57F's. It was because of his work on these planes that I was able to get an occasional close peek at the aircraft and their cockpits. I also got to know some of the ground-crew and pilots....well enough to ask for literature or photos related to these aircraft to be sent my way if possible.

My begging paid off later, when the 58th WRS was disbanded and I got several copies of flight manuals, pictures and patches that were headed to the trash dumpsters...

Now to the build. (I hope to post at least one comment each day with photos)

Swampfox/AGSanchez

Last edited by Swampfox; 10-17-2012 at 07:38 AM. Reason: missed last sentence in original