View Single Post

Old 01-23-2009, 09:46 PM

Total Downloaded: 0
Oh no! I ran out of parts

Oh! I guess that means it's done. If the photo looks like it's leaning or bent a little, that's because it is. Entirely my fault. the kit is well designed. My execution was a little off. It's not so far off that it won't stand up, so I guess it's a keeper. My son thinks so anyway. He just appropriated it.
Avery,
I hope the production model has part G6, the top cone on the escape tower moved in a little. It was too close to the margin and about 3/8 inch was cut off. I fixed it with a compass and ruler, but moving the part over a little would be better. One thing I'd definitely suggest is to remove the grey background. It just uses a lot of ink for scrap. Also, I suggest making some of the lines narrower if you can. I'm one of those who get confused about where to cut.
The bottom row of photos on the web link you referenced shows Orion configured with Ares I. Ton Noteboom has an Orion kit (actually, 2 versions) on The Lower Hudson Valley Paper Model Giftshop (www.jleslie48.com). It's 1/96 scale I think. It can be reduced 66% to get approximately 1/144 scale. A new fairing from the top of the second stage (where the orange ends) would have to be designed to accommodate the Orion.
I'm not absolutely sure, but I think the production launch vehicle (the real rocket, that is) has the logos, flag, and "United States" on both sides.
Attached Thumbnails
Beta builder for Ares I rocket-100_1534.jpg  

Currently working on: ISS