View Single Post

Old 01-28-2009, 01:56 PM

Total Downloaded: 0
Send a message via Yahoo to treadhead1952
Thanks Guys,

Uh, no, givin' up on sanding is not likely to happen with most anything I do in the modeling department! :D

Actually, I rather enjoy working out how the parts should go together and when they don't, it is usually about the only way to work your way out of the situation. Of course, I didn't think that a paper model would require quite as much as I am discovering, but that is okay. The more I go along, I am seeing where things have to be in a certain position otherwise, they will sneak up and bite you later on. Having a printer and access to be able to make new stuff to fix what went wrong is a blessing rather than a curse.

As I work my way along, I have decided that with the decks now mounted and the structure stiffened up even more, it would probably work for me to put the bow and stern pieces on first, the stern looks like a bear with the compound curve, but I will muddle through it somehow or other.

Like I said I have managed to get the decks secured to the inner hull. I used Aleene's Tacky glue to do the deed, stuff works great. Adding them showed where I had to do a couple more adjustments to make them fit right, but it wasn't any big problem, just adding a little material to build up areas where parts didn't quite meet up.

Here are the "L" brackets that I added in the bow section so it would keep that nice upward sweep and guarantee that nothing would be coming unglued later on as I work things over. I also added some to the stern section. At this point, I think it may very well have been overkill, but it won't hurt anything so they get to stay.

You can see where I had to add some material to one of the bulkhead formers so that the hull plating won't be sinking in and should follow the line of the curve of the hull without any problems, of course, I still get to sand a little more. At the back of the step up from one deck to another you can also see where I had to add some to keep from bending down the back of the deck to meet the bulkhead, but it came out okay, so I am happy with it. You can also see the tabs that I added.

I did these, by drawing them onto the deck patterns and then trimming the decks with a hobby knife. After gluing the deck to a second sheet to get the needed thickness, I waited until things had set up a bit then trimmed the decks out of the second sheet. At that point, I drew the knife point across the tabs at the deck edge and removed the thickness of the original card sheet off of each tab. The tabs are formed from the under laying sheet and not the top sheet so that they fold under without actually increasing the deck edges' width but will still catch the side panels when I add them to offer a little more gluing surface. The forward deck got more generous tabs since I figured out how to do this so I wouldn't have any problems fitting the hull sides.

So this is where I am at this point. Now that I am off on my 2 and a half day weekend, I plan to get the bottom of the hull shaped up with its' strips and plates after fitting the bow and stern.

Jay Massey
treadhead1952
Las Vegas, NV

Last edited by treadhead1952; 01-28-2009 at 01:59 PM. Reason: Forgpt to add the last photo, oops!