View Single Post

Old 12-17-2012, 01:05 PM

Total Downloaded: 314.05 MB
Whulsey, at least he didn't have to ask "where is the gas tank fill spout?" Which brought to mind another story from my misspent youth. One of my roommates and I jointly owned a 1954 Jag XK-120. That particular beast had a common oil sump for the engine and tranny, which had about a 12-quart capacity...desperately needed, as at the best of times, it got about 100 miles a quart. The low mark on the dipstick was for a full gallon of oil. One weekend we took a roadtrip to Los Angeles to visit with his folks, about 500 miles roundtrip. On gassing up when we got back to school, the pump jockey (dates me...there was no such thing as self-service then, other than five-finger-discount) told us we were a bit more than a quart low, so my roomie said to go ahead and add oil. Upon opening the fifth quart of oil, the attentant was down on hands and knees looking for a pool of oil and for where the tv-camera was hidden.