View Single Post

Old 12-29-2012, 11:01 AM

Total Downloaded: 461.4 KB
Spanish pirate galleon "Neptune" 1:100 (scratch build)

Hi everybody!

I want to present my new project here: Neptune from the movie Pirates by Roman Polanski.

Ever since I saw this beautiful galleon a year ago, I want to build it. It is full of beautiful ornaments and it is a really big ship as well! A three-decker spanish type warship with more than 70 cannons!!

However, my model will be slightly modified. The reason is that this is a fictive ship that never really existed but was build as a waterline galleon for the movie. It has a draft of only 2.2 meters (according to wikipedia) and I could not find any plans whatsoever for this ship! This will give me also a little bit of room for being creative...

I had to do some research on my own about the Spanish galleon. The ship must be the size of a three-decker HMS Prince or a San Felipe. I found some old (17/18 century) drawings by Antonio de Gazaneta (pic. 1&2) and based on his buttock line drawings and photos of the galleon in the old port of Genoa in Italy found on the internet I made my own plans (pic. 3&4).

Here is a link to some nice photographs of the Neptune:

The Neptune a Pirates Galeon

One should compare the stern of the Neptune with the drawings of Gazaneta in picture 2.

.....So I will make my own plans and research and add a story to this ship:

According to the head and the very high poop deck I will set the construction of the Neptune in the year anno 1670.
Built from the much lighter tropical timber of the Brazilian forest this ship was meant for outmaneuvering the heavy big 104 cannon bearing Le Soleil Royal of the abhorrent French. Just as the Spanish spies discovered the building of this vessel, the Spanish Queen Consort Mariana of Austria gave the order to build the Neptune to a constructor Radék de la Sol de la Santa Cruz de Brazíl.
She was finished just one year after the French vessel was launched in 1669. On her way back to the Kingdom in Europe she carried a considerable amount of Aztec gold. the galleon was led by the First Officer Don Alfonso de Salamanca de la Torre and vanished while yet in the Caribbean Sea. Rumor has it that a notorious Pirate by the name Captain Thomas Bartholomew Redd captured the vessel and sold the crew to slavery...

More information will follow soon!
Best regards,
Radek
Attached Thumbnails
Spanish pirate galleon "Neptune" 1:100 (scratch build)-sgn001.jpg   Spanish pirate galleon "Neptune" 1:100 (scratch build)-sgn004.jpg   Spanish pirate galleon "Neptune" 1:100 (scratch build)-sgn002.jpg   Spanish pirate galleon "Neptune" 1:100 (scratch build)-sgn003.jpg  
In the Garage: PANHARD AML20