View Single Post

Old 02-18-2013, 05:57 AM

Total Downloaded: 264.09 MB
I have worked my way to the nose of the Super Constellation, which was a fairly regular job. The recolouring seem to fit quite nicely so the overall effect starts to look as a KLM aircraft.
Pic 1 shows the front fuselage at this stage. The silver paper from Inktjet Station is after all a good silvery colour. It looks a bit spotty, but assembled in the fuselage I rather like the effect.
In pic 2, I am working on the cockpit. This is the only model I know of, that has a correct cockpit shape. The original Constellation cockpit was contoured in a streamline from the nose to the roof of the front fuselage, very good from an aeronautical point of view, but it resulted in a cramped headroom for the pilots. So, when Lockheed began designing the stretch, they recontoured the cockpit and raised the cockpit roof slightly. That is visible as little "bubble-like" cockpit roof, and Ken West has captured that very convincingly. I will not glue the cockpit in place untill I have the whole nose ready, so that I can check and see if the cockpit fits correctly.

Meanwhile, I decided to built the aircraft with gear down, so that I can use the nice wheel wells that are included. Pic 3 shows the instructions and the parts for the nose gear wheel well.
Attached Thumbnails
C-121 conversion to the Super Constellation Super G-4-1-front-fuselage.jpg   C-121 conversion to the Super Constellation Super G-4-2-cockpit.jpg   C-121 conversion to the Super Constellation Super G-4-3-nose-gear-wheel-well.jpg