View Single Post

Old 06-05-2013, 04:59 PM

Total Downloaded: 21.20 MB
Ken, your enthusiam for Apollo knows no bounds, does it?

I will have to search through my hard-drives for the PDFs I have covering the LRV. I'll get back to you on those. I also have 3 very informative books on the subject, which provide some good background:

1. Virtual LM by Scott Sullivan
2. Lunar and Planetary Rovers by Anthony Young (2007)
3. Lunar Rover Manual 1971-1972 by Christopher Riley, David Woods & Philip Dolling (2012)

I realise that Virtual LM is out of print now and pretty much impossible to find for anything like a reasonable price. I was extremely lucky when I contacted the publishers a couple of years back and they managed to find one slightly damaged copy buried in their storehouse. The book's value lies in the several clear computer drawn 3D images of the LRV and it's sections.

With regard to the LRV Manual, I have previously had email contact with both Chris Riley and David Woods (both are acknowledged Apollo experts - see the links below ...). If anybody has good access to LRV material, then surely they must have? I'll write to them both, ask them to kindly look here (and at your Astronaut and CM models) and see if they can perhaps help with some authentic reference material (in the form of PDFs maybe?), or at least point you to where it can be found.

Quote:
I also have this crazy idea: Gene Cernan and Harrison Schmitt were the last 2 people to walk on the Moon. They are the subjects of this diorama .... As such, I hope to contact each of them, and sort of introduce myself .... talk about the Paper Apollo Astronauts. I would also like to show them the CM project. I would like to invite them to papermodelers.com, and invite them to peek in or even participate ... I just want them to be aware of the fact that they are held in high regard in our forum.""I also have this crazy idea: Gene Cernan and Harrison Schmitt were the last 2 people to walk on the Moon. They are the subjects of this diorama .... As such, I hope to contact each of them, and sort of introduce myself .... talk about the Paper Apollo Astronauts. I would also like to show them the CM project. I would like to invite them to papermodelers.com, and invite them to peek in or even participate ... I just want them to be aware of the fact that they are held in high regard in our forum.
Nice idea, Ken, but don't discount the other surviving Apollo crewmen who operated the LRV. For example, last year I attended a presentation here in the UK, given by Charlie Duke (Apollo 16), and he is a delightfully warm, and enthusiasticgentleman. I suspect that he is probably the most open and approachable of the surviving Apollo crewmen to operate the LRV. Not that I would discount Dave Scott, John Young, Gene Cernan or Jack Schmitt but you could try presenting your case (and of course showcasing your previous work!) to Charlie by contacting him through his website here. If he cannot help directly, I feel sure he will be interested in your project, and may be able to steer you towards folk who can help.

Be sure to also look at my absolute favourite Apollo website - the Apollo Lunar Surface Journal (ALSJ), where Dr Eric Jones has a prime collection of documentation and photos, including much for the LRV. I'll contact Dr Jones as well and ask him to have a look here.

Another contact you should try and make is Don McMillan, who has already constructed a great computer 3D model of the LRV, which is also available as a large poster (28" x 18.75"). The ALSJ also has some links for Don's LRV stuff.

Christopher Riley co-authored the Apollo 11 Manual 1969 (2010) with Phil Dolling but he has several other space-related credits to his name. Chris co-produced what is my favourite Apollo documentary, the magnificent In The Shadow Of The Moon (2008). Anyone who has an interest in Apollo must see this award-winning film!

David Woods, who works for BBC Radio in Scotland, runs the Apollo Flight Journal website, and is the also the author of the acclaimed book How Apollo Flew To The Moon.