View Single Post

Old 03-03-2009, 07:07 PM

Total Downloaded: 0
Polikarpov Po-2 Kartonowa Kolekcia 1:33

Type: Polikarpov Po-2 (general purpose biplane)
Scale: 1:33
Designer: Pawel Mistewicz
Difficulty: moderately difficult (options for extra details)
Format: A4, 12-page booklet, 6 pages of parts

When I first saw this kit listed at Paper Model Store, I wasn't very interested. But then I read up on the Po-2 at Wikipedia and grew to like it. The Po-2 was the world's most-produced biplane, with over 40,000 built, in which case it must be considered among the world's most remarkable aircraft.

Kartonowa Kolekcia is a newer publisher, but from the look of the A4-size booklet that arrived in the mail, it would appear they intend to be a major player. Everything about the kit says quality: excellent card stock, including a 2-sided glossy cover; profuse illustrations; crisp artwork. The level of detail is good but not overwhelming. A set of laser-cut formers is available. The kit and frames combined will set you back only US$14 at PMS.

Photos of a finished model can be seen at Kartonowa Kolekcia. The colors of the printed kit are slightly different from those seen in the KK photos; the kit's primary colors are more brown-toned than the green seen in the site photos.

Over-all, I would rate this kit 4 1/2 out of 5 stars, only because 1) there is no English translation of the text and 2) there is no weathering on the model. But these are very slight grievances -- otherwise the kit looks like a real winner.

Cheers!
Attached Thumbnails
Polikarpov Po-2 Kartonowa Kolekcia 1:33-po-2-front-cover.jpg   Polikarpov Po-2 Kartonowa Kolekcia 1:33-po-2-back-cover.jpg   Polikarpov Po-2 Kartonowa Kolekcia 1:33-po-2-parts.jpg   Polikarpov Po-2 Kartonowa Kolekcia 1:33-po-2-diagrams.jpg   Polikarpov Po-2 Kartonowa Kolekcia 1:33-po-2-laser-cut-frames.jpg