View Single Post

Old 07-03-2013, 11:20 AM

Total Downloaded: 21.20 MB
Thumbs up

Jim, a very fine cockpit indeed!

All the DC-3 and C-47 aircraft I flew had matt black paint on the cockpit floor, wall and roof. The instrument panels (including the eyebrow panels that I see you have modelled beautifully!) and centre quadrant (where the engine levers, fuel tank cocks etc are) were also matt black. But then they were military aircraft, so there wasn't much cheeriness in the cockpit colours! Of course, civilian operators wouldn't have needed to stick to boring old matt black!

However, I do recall that the aircraft I flew did have some of your quilted green material laid over much of the cockpit rear bulkhead, up the sidewalls to about window level, and on the rear parts of the roof, if I remember correctly.

Forgive me if I do make a couple of observations, though:
1. I feel sure that all DC-3/C-47 had spherical knobs on the ends of the lever pairs.

2. And left to right, those pairs of spherical knobs were coloured white (RPM/prop pitch); black (throttles); red (mixture). Each mixture lever also had a short thumb-lever on the rear (aft) side of the lever, just under the knob. This was pressed to unlatch the mixture lever from the detents that were on the quadrant. If I remember correctly, those detents were Emergency rich; Auto rich, Auto lean; Cutoff .... but it has been a long time ....
This pic here looks very much like the cockpit of the variants I flew (dark!), but this one shows the levers and their respective colours much more clearly. The DC-3/C-47 was the only piston engine aircraft I flew where the throttles were in the middle - the usual convention nowadays is to have the throttles on the left, and the RPM levers in the middle!

You have done a great job, Jim, and your cockpit makes a very worthy addition to the Alan Rose DC-3.

Do you have any plans to release it ....... pretty please?