View Single Post

Old 07-23-2013, 11:09 AM

Total Downloaded: 0
Hi Dave, looked at your pdf and came up with a theory. The photo on the right of one of the vertical stabilizers seems to tell the story. The "pink" that is left on the part is very close to the new color model you have created. Note that under the "pink" is olive drab and that the serial number is still noticeably yellow. While the rest of the aircraft is predominantly more sand color.

Theory. This and many other B-24's were delivered in olive drab and over sprayed with Desert "pink". In the higher altitudes the uv would burned off the red pigments very quickly. There are more than a few color photo's of what is left of her in Libya. Wright Patterson AFB museum has one of the engines and cowling from her displayed beside "Strawberry Bitch". It is very clear to see the olive paint, as very little of the "pink" is left. Olive drab itself, depending on the manufacturer and batch often faded to a light sand color in a little over 1 year. I believe the parts of the "lady" that look sandier are the remains of the olive underneath. There are a lot of parts that did not receive direct sunlight and look very "pink" indeed and are more indicative of the original "pink". I think the color you have come up with is very close and quite satisfactory for the way she would have looked pre crash. If someone wanted to do a crash diorama of the way she looked when found, that would be an entirely different and multi colored paint scheme.

Here is a review I did of a new B-17 model that illustrates my take on WWII aircraft colors: AeroScale :: Built Review: B-17G Flying Fortress by Jeff Dick

In one of my previous jobs, I painted 1/1 aircraft for a living, specializing in warbirds. Anyone trying to achieve an exact match in model paint to an FS number is building an aircraft that has not yet left the factory, at best.

I admire your work and with a new printer just delivered will be buying some of your wares.

Hope this helps
Jeff