View Single Post

Old 07-27-2013, 07:07 PM

Total Downloaded: 652.45 MB
I had to abandon this model last year because of my father's cancer, which left him in wheel chair. After surgery the recovery was hard, but he's almost walking again. Just as I expected to continue this kit it was my mother's stroke...

But finally there were a couple of hours free to modeling, and this is what I did:

Added the fuel tank, the rear stringers, and all the rigging of the frames:

The tank was made with the template provided with the kit. It was painted with silver ink, and then weathered a bit using India ink with a dry brush. I added the rivets and the small braces that hold it in place according to the cutaway reference.

Another view of the fuel tank:

The wires were simulated using silver embroidery thread. I found it great to simulate the scale. First I braided two threads together, and glued them using superglue (CA). I used a weight on one end to keep it straight. after that I carefully cut each piece to size and glued in place using CA. Is not a perfect finish, but after all this months I really don't care about it being perfect.

A view of the rear stringers:

Another view of the stringers:

And some advance on the radiator, which I really didn't like at all. Fortunately I printed two of it, and will surely make another one.

Notice how some of the stringers are really skewed, and look ugly. I could have predicted this effect, since enlarging the kit from 1/72 to 1/33 resulted in some width differences. But I just noticed there were some discrepancies when I was glueing. I had too much in my head to think on small discrepancies.

Anyway, since I can not correct the stringers at this stage, and don't want to begin all the whole plane again, I will let them like that.

Actually, now that I see those poorly shaped stringers, I think the model would look great if some other parts of it are also skewed, weathered, battered as if for the pass of time. What about making it look like an abandoned skeleton airframe? Is a tempting idea!!!!

Kind regards,

Rubén Andrés Martínez