View Single Post

Old 07-29-2013, 11:42 PM

Total Downloaded: 5.57 MB
Hi all together,

and thanks Guys for your compliments and interest, then we can go on and start the main engine!

And now some first pictures of my MLP building yard. This is the larger part of the MLP platform top side here.

And here the smaller part of the platform top side (continuation), the front (Side 1) and back (Side 3) as well as the left SRB Blast Chamber.

The next picture shows the two side panels of the MLP, Side 2 and Side 4, the right SRB Blast Chamber as well as the SSME Blast Chamber and parts of the 6 MLP "feet" (pedestals).

Since to me however a pure cardboard version appears not strong enough as foundation for shuttle stack nevertheless, I decided to give to the MLP a load-carrying sub-construction from hardboard and balsa which are then pasted with the colored cardboard. But not all details from cardboard look so mad and manufacture of special delicate parts could be very difficult (e.g. railings and in particular long and thin pipes!!!) Therefore I've intended, to build not everything of paper from the kit. Additional small parts and armatures as well as lines, railings and stairs I will scratch build of plastic sheet or metal.

Let's go now first times into the wood ..., here the upper and lower cover plate of 1.8 mm hardboard.

On the upper cover plate the side panels and the retaining structure from Balsa were then glued on.

So, thus the MLP shell construction has already times a quite tidy stability and might some launches loosely so probably get over.

Wow, now I'm however glad, the beginning is made and updates follow soon. And if you notice something, what might be made better, for constructional criticism or other proposals, hints and general feedback I'm very grateful.

Launch Pad 39A with Challenger STS-6 (1:144)

Last edited by spacerunner; 09-16-2016 at 05:26 PM.