View Single Post

Old 08-02-2013, 03:56 AM

Total Downloaded: 5.57 MB
Here is the next update.

Since I have to wait with the upper cover of the SRB Blast shields some time, next were the supports for the two SRB's with the Hold downs. Those are the mounting plates of the Boosters rockets into the SRB holes. In the following picture one can see two of the four SRB supports.

Source: NASA

And it went loosely with the preparation:

First I've cut out a part of the template and folded it (above). According to the building guidance one should strengthen the parts inside with several layers of cardboard (see black master, left). I seized the proven Balsa wood back and glued a thicker (left) and a thinner part (right) together with one another. That is necessary, because the Hold downs are not symmetrical and have a chamfer at a side.

Folding and bonding the Balsa cores was already a considerable stress. There one is probably faster finished, if one parts from a full Sheet blank would file. But then the eight parts finished product finite and lay ready for assembly,

and could be bonded into the SRB Holes.

Now are missing on the supports only the four Hold Downs, that are the grey cones with the red covers in the first picture.

And that they are to become then, with grey covers.

I left the 8 SRB supports with the Hold Downs first times aside. But I operated again some photo researches for further detailing of the MLP side panels and prepared and afterwards painted the plastic profiles necessary for it.

Those are among other things the bracket sections at the four corners of the MLP (1), the “rain pipes” profiles (2) at the top margin of the Sides 2 and Side 4 with the associated downspouts (3), as well as further square and flat profiles, so among other things also the still which is missing 1x1 mm of profiles for the reinforcement bars at the rear walls of the SRB Holes.

Source: NASA

There they lie now and wait for the final cut.

It continued to go again at the rear walls of the SRB Holes. And as if I would have suspected it, already only the cut of the 1x1 mm of profiles for the reinforcement bars had it in itself. That were per one Hole 35 profiles of different length, whereby the smallest pieces at the upper ends were “long” scarcely 2 mm. The “crumbs” cut and still hold at the same time, go actually not at all, also not with tweezers. And the 70 profiles with superglue on the correct place to then glue separately, that was already one considerable wearing down and stressful number.

Wow, but it is done now!!!

And I am actually completely content with the result. Nevertheless so still a nuance sees more genuinly out in the comparison with the photo detail. But altogether it was nevertheless more complex, than I had at first presented it to me. One has that now from its detail fad.

And it is only for the sake of completeness mentioned that thereby now finally also SRB Blast Shields cover could be glued together.

And in such a way it looks from downside.

So far for today.

Launch Pad 39A with Challenger STS-6 (1:144)

Last edited by spacerunner; 09-16-2016 at 05:55 PM.