Thread: Human anatomy
View Single Post

Old 08-07-2013, 01:47 AM

Total Downloaded: 97.35 MB
Quote:
Originally Posted by peaceglue View Post
you wrote about a new philosophy in demonstrating muscles as a model. Can you explain why this is needed? Or what kind of advantages you get with your approach (in teaching anatomy or something else)? Or it is a game, what can be done with paper...

Greetings
peaceglue
When we talk about a new philosophy, one has to be careful. It is a little like copyright in that, usually, someone else did it before. The philosophy is therefore not so new (Chinese tradtionalists and even Leonardo da Vinci and Rene Descartes had some ideas about it).

My idea is to show two pictures, one an artists 'form' of the human body, and one a pictorial 'form' of twisted paper strips. In anatomy teachings, the notion of 'form' and 'function' are used extensively. My idea is to demonstrate firstly, by voluntary third party observation, a clear relationship between 'moebius form' and 'anatomical form'. Anyone seeing the relationship repeatedly, might conclude that the moebius form is a real anatomical form.

Then the question arises, if the anatomical form is moebius, then what 'functions' follow from this observation? The pictures I have attached of the legs, show two axes, one at the hip (blue earbud) and one at the ankle (green earbud). The knee has no paper axis, but shows a complicated crossing-over of 'paper' ligaments and muscles.

As an antomical engineer, I may have to design, for example, a traditional knee joint from steel and plastic components. How many factors one takes into account is a matter of choice. But the end user of the artificial knee joint has to live with the consequences of the designer's choices.

It is definintely not a game.