View Single Post

Old 03-15-2009, 07:46 PM

Total Downloaded: 35.0 KB
OTDAEABT Maly Modelarz F4U Corsair 1:33

It seemed a shame that my favorite bird was having such a hard time getting into the contest so here we are.

I probaly does not need mentioning but this model was designed by our dear friend Bohdan Wasiak. And the distortion that my scanner added to the sheets should make this very interesting.

Model comes printed on very yellow folded paper (blotter?) yielding four pages of parts. If one wished and had a full day one could build it in that time(or less probably). I however am going to attempt to turn this ugly duckling into a swan so a lot more work than just the minimum to build the kit will be attempted. Last year I just got involved in the competition for the fun of it. This time I am in as a serious competitor.

The first pic shows the pages of the kit with a scanned and printed page to show how bad the color is faded and the reason for my request to spraypaint the whole thing.

The build has commenced and already on the area of fuselage between the cockpit and engine I have made 2 modifications.

Instead of cutting the little slits and bending the front of the piece in for the engine cooling air exhaust I cut the section off and used duplicate cowl pieces to round it off.

And as indicated I am very unhappy with the bent portion of the wing as provided in the kit so I cut out the main spar pieces and traced them onto a piece of paper. The center spar only went out about 2/3 of the way to the wing fold line so I made the center spar as long as it should be and took out that sharp corner(see attached).

I have been cutting out the wing skins for the center section of the wing and cutting them up to accomodate the newly curved wing. Also I plan on lowering the flaps.

Hopefully all this modification doesn't get me disqualified but it's the only way I am continuing. And it's the only way I see to make this model competitive with the other superb entries we have seen thus far.
Attached Thumbnails
OTDAEABT Maly Modelarz F4U Corsair 1:33-018-2-.jpg   OTDAEABT Maly Modelarz F4U Corsair 1:33-017-2-.jpg   OTDAEABT Maly Modelarz F4U Corsair 1:33-019.jpg  

My models available for sale @ Gremir and Ecardmodels

Last edited by Willja67; 03-15-2009 at 07:48 PM.