View Single Post

Old 03-17-2009, 06:05 PM

Total Downloaded: 70.75 MB
Send a message via MSN to Lex
A massively overconfident project

After taking the Comet and a 6-months rest (mainly learning other things), I've fixed my evil eyes on another subject. So I'm posting like last time to keep me reminded about the design so I don't slack off :D

It's a ship
It's a battleship
It's also an aircrarft carrier at the same time
Enough cues?

Correct, it's the Ise-class battleship, who has been known for their unusual experience and exceptional luck in WWII.

AFAIK the Ise class is the only class in the 12-high Japanese navy battlefleet which European publishers didn't publish any kit on. All I have seen was a Japanese design. (so I need to hurry before any commercial publishers get their hands on this :D)

===========Skip if not bored==========
History-wise, the Ise class (Ise and Hyuga) were completed just after WWI, and was lying dormant for most of their career. Which means that by WWII they were hopelessly outdated. The ships participated in Pearl Harbor raid, and all was well until the disasterous Midway, when the high command decided they were suddenly lacking aircraft carriers. A simple solution was found to remove the rear turrets from the ship and replace with a huge flight deck. (The Fuso class were to follow suit, but didn't live to that day...) Thus the twins were out of action until the conversion completed in 1944, just in time to catch the (once again, disasterous) Leyte Gulf (Japanese achievements in this battle includes having Battleship Musashi becoming the largest submarine on Earth, Fuso and Yamashiro pounding to ruins with less that a dozen survivors, and all 4 Takao class heavycruisers sunk or beyond repair, to name a few.) The two aircraft carrying battleships fought fiercely to protect Japan's carrier decoy force. Surprisingly, all four carriers that day went on the underwater tour, but Ise and Hyuga came back in one piece. Then in early 1945 the twins set off to Singapore to transport war supplies to homeland, despite being a moving bomb with highly flammable fuel loaded on board, luck had it once again and the ships evaded over 20 submarine persuits and one massive air assault. In the end, Hyuga was sunk at moorings during air assault on 24 May that year, and Ise followed suit 4 days later.
===========Skip if not bored==========

Model wise, the model is going to be a free 1/200 full hull vector design. The sheer scale means the design might last beyond one year, but hopefully it's worth the time. Screenshots will follow shortly :o