View Single Post

Old 01-14-2014, 04:21 PM

Total Downloaded: 424.90 MB
I'm glad to see this model of Deutschland. I recall several discussions of that ship in this Forum, especially by Bill Geoghegan (DrBill), a formerly active member who now is associated with a maritime museum on the Maryland Eastern Shore. Bill and I grew up together in Baltimore in the 1940s and 50s and continue to have an interest in Baltimore maritime history. All of those previous posts and threads seem to have disappeared (at least I cannot find them).

The Maryland Historical Society (Maryland Historical Society | Museum and Library | Baltimore, MD) holds images of Deutschland's visit. I have been unable to access the site today, but here are the finding aids of the Society related to Deutschland: Search | Maryland Historical Society

And here are other images and accounts of the ship:
B&CSC and the German Society of Maryland Gather to Remember Maritime Pioneer Capt. Paul L. Koenig | Baltimore & Chesapeake Steamboat Company
German U-Boat Deutschland Arrives in Baltimore (1916) - Ghosts of Baltimore
First World War.com - Primary Documents - German Submarine Deutschland's Atlantic Crossing, 9 July 1916

Videos:
Stock Footage - The German Merchant Submarine, Deutschland, arrives with merchant cargo in Baltimore, Maryland
Stock Footage - The repaired German U-boat Deutschland leaves New London, Connecticut, bound for Germany.

Don