View Single Post

Old 01-27-2014, 10:04 PM

Location: Ripon, WI, 20 mi from Oshkosh - center of the Aviation Universe
Total Downloaded: 1.51 GB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beachead View Post
Interesting talk about one publisher vs. another. Funny or by design, how they each seem to have their own process for building. And instructions vary greatly.

You Bismark superstructure looks great. I can hardly wait for the hull (but maybe you can?) LOL
The hull is skinned. I used the same method as on the Akitsushima hull (see: Akitsushima Hull - 1/200 scale). The results were not quite as smooth, but I'm satisfied with it. I just need to add a few details below the waterline. I think the next ship I build will be a waterline model. (Akitsushima remains unfinished but high on the project list.)

The deck is attached and I'm currently working on deck fittings. I hope to mate the superstructures to the deck sometime soon, then install the railings and rigging. I'm also designing a wall-mounted display case for the model. I do NOT want to dust this puppy.

I haven't written a build thread because I knew the project would be a long one. I will say that the changes I've made have been minor--adding joiner strips or tabs where none were offered and adding thickness or extra formers to a few parts. The biggest change was in how I made the gun barrels. I describe that here:Rolling Gun Barrels and Masts - Another Approach.

The other experiment I am happy with is the anchor chain, described here: Anchor Chain for GPM Bismarck.

I'm enjoying this project but after six months with it, I'm also itching to move on. So many kits, so little time!
--David