View Single Post

Old 02-04-2014, 02:33 PM

Total Downloaded: 436.97 MB
Send a message via Skype™ to SJPONeill
No, not amateur hour in the kitchen. I have gooped body filler over the framework for the turret plug...the indent seen is off my thumb where I was holding it and where we became a little attached for a while - only later did I discover that a small Tamiya paint bottle is the perfect size to mount the plug on...this filler is quite sensitive: not enough hardener and it takes for ever to set and tends to ooze and run everywhere; too much and it has set before you even touch spatula to it. The trick for this part was to get it just starting to set as I applied it so that it would fill the framework without oozing out the sides. "Oh, but couldn't you have taped the sides to make temporary walls?"
you cry...yep, only thought of that later...
Here's the framework emerging from the set filler...it was a perfectly stiller night last night and I must have looked a bit odd (if we had neighbours) as I wandered aimlessly up and down the driveway to make my own breeze to carry the sanding dust away...

I will fill the nicks and dents tonight and hopefully have a vac-able shape ready to go...just have to find some thicker flat clear sheet for the vacforming experiment...

The group build over at UAMF finished today and I obviously did not complete this build in time however I will be continuing it here . It was a great catalyst for restoring my paper modelling skills which had atrophied in the year since my last paper model build, and also in generating interest in paper modelling within the UAMF community - to the point where we now have a dedicated paper modeling group build plotted from 12 November to 24 December 2014 (hint...join in if you wish...)...