View Single Post

Old 04-12-2014, 06:58 AM

Total Downloaded: 257.44 MB
Quote:
Originally Posted by paulmackie View Post
I looked at CT and PA and they have compressors from $60 for a small tank and about $100 for a bigger unit;
Powermate 1 Gallon Portable Air Compressor | Princess Auto
so if I bought the dual air gun and cheapie compressor I could be into airbrushing for about $100 to test it out.
These compressors are great for filling tires or powering low CFM power tools like air nailers.
CFM is too low for operating a paint sprayer of any type, however an airbrush might
run acceptably but only at low pressures, spraying very thin product.
They tend to run frequently since the tank capacity is small, contributing to the low CFM*.

They are very noisy...annoyingly noisy.

You will find this type of compressor a poor choice for airbrushing.
[CFM is the amount of air that can be delivered quickly (and constantly). Cubic Feet per Minute]

Since an airbrush is a smaller version of a paint spray gun, it is used as such when spraying paint over larger areas of a model.
And in scale modeling, airbrushes are widely used for spraying soft edge paint effects (like camouflages)
and for adding shading, dirt and smoke streaking, and colour gradients.
They are also good for spraying through stencils to create crisp graphics, markings, etc.

The airbrush will not make your vision any less important...in fact, aim becomes more important.