View Single Post

Old 04-23-2009, 04:17 PM

Total Downloaded: 27.71 MB
Quote:
Originally Posted by boosed View Post
This gives a whole new meaning to "hand-launched glider."

I've been semi-following the phenomenon of scale aircraft slope soaring in Model Aviation and Flying Models and am delighted to see paper models entering the fray.

Don
Hi Don,

Well check out this link. Jetex.org: Archive - Jetex Paper Models (Wallis Rigby)
The new version of the Jetex is Rapier. I've designed a model for them but it was way to heavy because I didn't place the engine in the right spot. After reading this arcticle, I now know what to do. Just haven't the time to do it. Way to many projects on my plate and I'm away from most of my resources. I still plan to mount a real pulsejet in one!

I've tried buying the big Jetex engines while they were still in production. I ordered one from England but it never came thru, although I did get a set of L3 Rapiers.

I have a compressed air bladder that I designed to give my models jet thrust. The problem is when you fill them, the bladder moves forward and the CG changes. To overcome this I had to empty the bladder faster and then lauch the model straight up hoping the bladder would empty by the time the nose was level.
Emptying the bladder faster means almost 11-oz of thrust for 1-2 seconds. THe model I tried it on was 11-oz ready to fly. It nosed over with thrust and not even my replaceable nosecones could fix the damage! I probaly could have set a world record for paper airplane speed attained though!

Mike