View Single Post

Old 05-11-2014, 01:58 PM

Total Downloaded: 14.71 MB
RMS “Mauretania” 1/250

Hello everyone,

As a new member I’m starting my first post: RMS “Mauretania” 1/250.
The aim of the post is to prepare model for publishing on the net (probably on “Downloads” list if it is possible).

Introduction

During the marvelous era of transatlantic passenger steamships, “RMS Mauretania” was the fastest steam-liner for many years and held the “Blue Riband” trophy from 1909 to 1929 [at 26.06 knots (48.26 km/h)].
“RMS Mauretania” was the second ship of a Cunard’s (the company) duo. The first one was “RMS Lustania” which sadly was sunken by German submarine in 1915. Mauretania was launched in 1906 and finished her glorious duty (together with Titanic’s sister ship “RMS Olympic”) in scrap yard in 1935, serving for almost 3 decades.

The model

The model designed on Lusitania’s blueprint, which is probably the best blueprint of steam-liner you would find on web (except Titanic stuff). The main (most visible) difference between sister ships (as much as I manage to find) was captain’s mast. Mauretania had pushed forward mast and longer broadside on the bow as well.
The scale was chosen taking account the information I had, the quality of blueprint. 1/200 would lack in details and 1/300 would be too small, so 1/250 seemed to be the best. Overall dimensions: length ~960mm; width ~108mm.
The current model based on the after-war refit period. Later the whole ship was painted in white.

Comparing to the ship’s models on the forum, mines probably is at medium level in detailing. In addition to this I even couldn't manage to finish all the ropes I’ve designed – the lack of experience. Although the ship assembles in the same manner like most of such kits on the market and I hope that someone would try to glue it.

For that reason in upcoming posts I shall display mostly the preparation of assembly-instruction hoping You (community members) would give me some remarks from your point of view.
Attached Thumbnails
-rms_mauretania.jpg   -dscn0041.jpg   -dscn0047.jpg   -dscn0052.jpg   -dscn0035.jpg