View Single Post

Old 04-30-2009, 10:27 AM

Location: On a small planet orbiting a yellow star in a galaxy named after a candybar.
Total Downloaded: 3.68 GB
Okay...but you asked!

My biggest complaint with models that leads to my graveyard is when they have little or no instructions. It's like buying some software; 'insert, wait for on screen instructions, randomly tap any key, cause the HELP portion of this software in in a coma, then pull back out and buy someone else’s stuff cause you've gotten nothing but crap here!.'

I know making directions is probably a chore to designers, its not creative enough, it’s time consuming, its trying to actually communicate [shivers/shake], but I wonder if even some "fit" problems may be due to not interpreting the design correctly. I had one kit I did 2 times until "Oh, for the sake of a bleeding--" I figured out what the limited text instructions were saying. It was probably a great kit, once I’d figured out the trick, but had I instructions that were clear, I'd have enjoyed the build process more. I never have gotten back to redoing it, years later.

When something get's too frustrating, the fun just drains away and I move on. I'm paid to be frustrated [though, admittedly, not too well!] so my rare and rapidly shrinking fun time needs to be enjoyable.

Just an FYI to the future designer out there who's thinking, "do I really need to bother with clear instruction? Nah; they'll figure it out."

Maybe they will. Or maybe they'll consign your hours of creative design to one of their graveyards...

The DC

BTW: Shout out to a designer DWHALE; his detailed, photo ridden instructions could lead you to Olympus.