View Single Post

Old 06-28-2014, 01:22 PM

Total Downloaded: 45.77 MB
Apollo 13 LM-7 Aquarius

I am very new to model building but have been lurking around this site for several months. I am particularly interested in real space models and appreciate when others document a work in progress. My first paper model was the Lunar Surveyor in 1:24 scale which I downloaded from the Lower Hudson Valley Paper Model E-Gift Shop and finished about a month ago. It turned out okay and the lessons I learned on that first model gave me the confidence to try something more complex. I came across UHU02's Apollo 13 LM-7 Aquarius model and am excited to try building it.

This will be my first ever attempt to document a work in progress. I look forward to receiving your comments and suggestions.

My first job was to download the instructions from UHU02's website. I used Google Translate to put them into English, but the translated instructions are a bit difficult to understand. Nevertheless, the pictures are excellent and easy to follow.

Next was to figure out the scale then to size it up to 1:24 to match the Lunar Surveyor mentioned above. I used Vincent Meens 1:24 LM-5 blueprint as a comparison. Not sure how scientific my method was, but I came up with needing to print UHU02's model at 158%. Since my inkjet printer is not made for large format printing, I had to crop the pdf sheets to print everything out on legal size card stock (8.5" x 14"). A handful of parts would not fit on that size, but I was able to get access to a color laser printer to print those few parts on 12" x 18" sheets.

Now to start the building process. Parts 1 and 2 are each folded in half with a piece of card stock in between, basically ending up a 3-ply part with printing on both sides. My first attempt at laminating using white glue did not work very well, so I tried necroscoping using plastic from Ziploc sandwich bags. (I learned about the method in the Tips and Tricks forum.) It worked great. Here is the result.
Attached Thumbnails
Apollo 13 LM-7 Aquarius-2014-06-19-21.00.38.jpg   Apollo 13 LM-7 Aquarius-2014-06-19-21.00.50.jpg