View Single Post

Old 06-29-2014, 07:03 AM

Total Downloaded: 257.44 MB
Thanks Don

I'm trying to retrace and find a link to a Book excerpt, but I can't seem to find it.
Its where I got some valuable info on the LB30 (C-87 style) transport.

Looks like a very good book, I will buy a copy when I can find it.
The book is "Liberators in the Royal Air Force" and it literally has info on every single Liberator
operated by the RAF and in Commonwealth service.
As an information source, the author(s) combed through thousands of Personnel/Crew Log books.

I already have the author's (James Oughton) 90 page book:
Notes, Corrections and Amendments to The Liberator in RAF and Commonwealth Service.
lol

[Quote I found, re: OL'927/Diamond Lil]
Liberator I AM927 was damaged in transit and was never delivered to the UK as were the other LB-30Bs.
It was returned to Consolidated for repair. During rebuild, an extra four feet was added to the nose of the aircraft.
[This was part of the conversion to C-87 Transport, as this plane was the C-87 prototype]
It was then operated as a company plane.
It was later used as a transport carrying USAAF insignia but still with its original RAF serial on the tail.
For a while after the war, this plane was flown by the Continental Can Company under the civilian registry N1503,
until it was acquired by the Confederate Air Force (now known as the Commemorative Air Force) to be operated as a flying museum.
It now flies with the civilian registry of N12905, painted as a B-24D carrying the name Diamond Lil