View Single Post

Old 05-05-2009, 07:35 AM

Total Downloaded: 587.2 KB
Keds_Girl_Lala,
You are partially correct
Serial production aircraft supposed to have folding wings to allow storage of the plane in caves and were to be armed with bombs. Plane was not built as a suicide aircraft, but at this stage of the war every plane could end up as a suicide weapon....
The only completed prototype had no folding wings, no shackle points for bombs and it was painted dark green/light gray.
Kikka was able to take off under it's own power and that's how the first flight was performed. For the second test flight RATO units were added, but they miscalculated the allignment which led to aborted take off (pilot didn't know if they fired or not and shut off both engines). This led to damage when plane run out off runway....
There is a nice collection of Kikka photos here Rod's WarBirds
Plane at the Smithsonian is patched from examples found in the factory and I think they also have the engines, but they never installed them. maybe one day Kikka will get full treatment like Seiran did...