View Single Post

Old 12-24-2014, 09:34 AM

Total Downloaded: 27.71 MB
Quote:
Originally Posted by hikokibert View Post
For this size model I think a full airfoil would be a step backwards. Extra weight and at the slow speeds of a glider I think the current airfoil is more effective. I think a rib at half span to hold the airfoil shape would be good. I would also have the vertical tail in the middle laminations but not the outer ones to allow it to be a bit thinner and able to be trimmed more easily.
I went out and tried again with a bit of weight on the tail. I got a couple of very short level flights but the wind is too gusty to really learn anything. I did get a flat spin at one point which looked interesting.
I need to make another one. I used white glue for this but will use balsa glue next time. The humidity and white glue make the wing too soggy. The acetone based balsa glue would be lighter and make the wing stiffer I think.
If this was a normal glider I would put a little negative incidence on the tail, but as this is scale and the tail is so close to the wing I wonder if it would have any effect.
Anyhow trimming is half the fun of flying models.

Robert
Hi Robert,

On my model it was tail heavy. I did use too many laminations of heavier card backing from notebooks.

Was thinking of adding a couple of extra laminations in the front and creating a hook for rubber band launching.

Never thought of the rudder being thinner, your suggestion is a great idea. How many laminations do you think would be best for it? (2 or 4)

Tail incidence is another great idea, after reading the Hudsonduster comments, will probably try a few degrees to see if it helps!

Thank you for your input!

Mike