View Single Post

Old 01-26-2015, 01:49 PM

Total Downloaded: 37.67 MB
Difficult moments

Thank you gents. The camo colors are indeed quite bright and resemble very much the colors as shown in the first picture and I'm using these to correct and paint the edges. The dark yellow color is in fact a bit too dark and needs to be used very sparsely as I didn't manage to find one that resembles the color print better.

I continued with assembling the front two sections of the fuselage, parts 37 and 40 and this is a bit tricky. There's an option here regarding the gap between parts 31 and 37. It's unclear to me why the designer has come up with this, and regardless the option the gap will be considerable and definitely not in proportion to what pictures of the real aircraft reveal. In the real D-XXI the gap is barely noticeable.
I chose for the option using part 31B, but even if you opt for 31A, it becomes very clear now why I earlier mentioned to leave a gap between front former 5X and part 31: You need the gap to slide 31A or 31B in between. There's a small lip on 31B that is intended to be glued on former 39X but just forget about it and cut it off.

There's no joining strip between 37 and 40 so I made one myself and put former 39X in position, allowing a small cut-out for the oil cooler inlet on the left side. Then I dry-fitted the assembled section with the rest of the fuselage and trimmed off 31B just a little to ensure proper fitting. Only install this front section after installing wing root 36!!!

The wing root is a challenge. I started with fixating its aft part to the fuselage, without however gluing the tooth-like transition pieces to the side of the fuselage. Carefully align the center line of the part with the fuselage keel, wrap either side around the wing profile and glue the wing back edges to each other. It's quite an ingenious part, truly showing the skills of the model designer!

I used glue very sparsely to connect the inside of the part to the wing formers and it's best to use clear glue that dries relatively slowly, allowing you to correct in the process.

Finally I glued the front section 37/40 into place. Messed up with glue in the process and I corrected this by painting the entire gap in a grey color. Impatient for just a single split second and immediately being punished for it. Sometimes it only takes a brief moment to learn this important lesson again and again and again....

Pfff...., that's it for now, time for a break. Three out of four in the family are sick at the moment and I don't want to be the last one toppling over. Call it a day!

See you,
Erik
Attached Thumbnails
Modelik 1:33 Fokker D-XXI Dutch version-dscn5595.jpg   Modelik 1:33 Fokker D-XXI Dutch version-dscn5577.jpg   Modelik 1:33 Fokker D-XXI Dutch version-dscn5578.jpg   Modelik 1:33 Fokker D-XXI Dutch version-dscn5579.jpg   Modelik 1:33 Fokker D-XXI Dutch version-dscn5580.jpg  

Modelik 1:33 Fokker D-XXI Dutch version-dscn5586.jpg   Modelik 1:33 Fokker D-XXI Dutch version-dscn5581.jpg   Modelik 1:33 Fokker D-XXI Dutch version-dscn5582.jpg   Modelik 1:33 Fokker D-XXI Dutch version-dscn5583.jpg   Modelik 1:33 Fokker D-XXI Dutch version-dscn5584.jpg  

Modelik 1:33 Fokker D-XXI Dutch version-dscn5585.jpg   Modelik 1:33 Fokker D-XXI Dutch version-dscn5587.jpg   Modelik 1:33 Fokker D-XXI Dutch version-dscn5588.jpg   Modelik 1:33 Fokker D-XXI Dutch version-dscn5589.jpg   Modelik 1:33 Fokker D-XXI Dutch version-dscn5590.jpg  

Modelik 1:33 Fokker D-XXI Dutch version-dscn5591.jpg   Modelik 1:33 Fokker D-XXI Dutch version-dscn5592.jpg   Modelik 1:33 Fokker D-XXI Dutch version-dscn5593.jpg   Modelik 1:33 Fokker D-XXI Dutch version-dscn5594.jpg