Thread: GRACE My first
View Single Post

Old 12-08-2015, 07:09 AM

Total Downloaded: 313.46 MB
GRACE My first

You know, I've been dreading posting about my progress because I know that as soon as I hit "SUBMIT" I'll get 7 replies with "Oh, you didn't see that? Its been in our gallery all along." :ROFL:

So I did search and I didn't find it and since I'm so new at building I thought that GRACE would be a good start. Launched in 2002, GRACE's twin satellites Tom and Jerry have been chasing one another around Earth for long enough that a follow-on satellite series - aptly named GRACE-FO (love those Germans) is set to launch in 2016ish.

I've been gathering sources and building parts in Publisher at 1/25th scale for a few days now. Here's my progress so far. I'll do a quick test print and fit next to be sure my math made sense. Then its back to the drawing board to create a couple more of the instruments.

I'd love to design it so that the two probes can be connected using a rod/tube of plastic (the correct term fails me in my cold laden delirium). Maybe an internal tube to support the rod through the models. I dunno.
Attached Thumbnails
GRACE My first-grace_parts_showcase.jpg   GRACE My first-15_on_orbit_rendering.jpg