View Single Post

Old 02-02-2016, 11:55 AM

Total Downloaded: 127.22 MB
OK, so I will try to do a thread on building a fluit.

Don't think you can learn a lot of it though. I'm not exactly a good model builder, compared to other paper modelers on this forum. Actually I must confess that starting a next phase on a model under my hands mostly serves to hide the mistakes made in the previous one....

But first I have to finish my pinas and hone my photographing skills.

About materials: I discovered that working with plastic trips for the outside planking is OK, but don't forget to prime the object first before painting. I often hold the model between my upper legs when working on it and with this first model I noticed I was wearing off the paint on the white plastic. Not really a nice effect I can tell you. Spraying primer gives a better hold for the paint you apply.

I love paper als a material, but not for sails. You get a much better effect if using the finest unbleached cotton available. Go the a shop where they sell cloth. You will be surprised to see how many qualities of cloth you can get there for practically nothing. I give the cloth a wash of tea to get rid of the too white color, although unbleached cotton is not entirely white already. I cut out the sails and glue bolt ropes around them with white glue. The lines of the stitched cloths can be done with a pencil. Next I marl them to the yard and make a contraption to spread the sail as liked. Then I spray it wet with a spray can of starch, women use before ironing laundry. Then I take a hair dryer and blow against the backside, until the sail is dry. The result is a nice bellowing sail, which holds its shape even after a long time.

Here are some shots I made this afternoon. As you can see I have to repair the paint where it is worn.

Thank you all for your reactions and kndeckhand: I think the Kalmar Nickel is a beautiful replica, but I am a bit puzzled about the blue color. Is there any source that indicates the original ship was painted like that? In my opinion blue was a very expensive and not verity stable pigment in those days, so I really wonder why it was chosen for the replica.
Attached Thumbnails
Dutch pinas 1671-dsc01654-small-.jpg   Dutch pinas 1671-dsc01655-small-.jpg   Dutch pinas 1671-dsc01656-small-.jpg