View Single Post

Old 02-05-2016, 02:39 AM

Total Downloaded: 127.22 MB
Vermin_King: `An expertly-built ship model`. Oh-o.

This is a little bit what I was afraid of when I opened my mouth here. Of course, as a result of my former profession I know how to build a ship model. But please don't see me as an expert in what I am showing you here. In fact this is totally different from what I was used to do. I always built my models not for the end result, but for getting a better understanding of constructions and methods of shipbuilding. For me model building was only a method of research.
That means that all the parts of my models were down-scaled equivalents of the actual ship-parts. That my sound daunting to some of you, but in fact it solved a mass of problems I am encountering now. I never had to think about how my product could be given a wood-look, because it really existed of wood. Never had to imitate nails or dowels, because they were actually there. Never had to think about making lines on decks to imitate the planking, because the planking was formed by planks, attached in the same way it was done in actual ships.
So what I am doing now is starting all over again and I am learning a lot from many of the posts on this forum. That's why I have been studying many of the threads here over the last few years.
And apart from that: I like making paper kits, because `I like it when a plan comes together`. Complicated parts that fit snugly where they should be, have a very reassuring effect on my brain. Like: everything has been taken care of, all is planned and planned well, so take it easy.... Much different from what I do myself when building a model.

So please consider me as the amateur I really am. I know a lot about old ships, but that does not necessarily mean that I make fantastic models. I wish I did!
Attached Thumbnails
Dutch pinas 1671-afb.iii.2-16.jpg   Dutch pinas 1671-scan.2-medium-.jpg   Dutch pinas 1671-zeehaan-3.jpg