View Single Post

Old 03-12-2016, 11:08 AM

Total Downloaded: 0
FRD--

Every time I hear further details about your upcoming 1/72 "New and Improved" Version 3, I'm more excited. Please make more than 20 next time! Do you take advance orders?
Glad I can practice first on one of your "prototypes."
No tabs -- that should look even more realistic.
Here's a picture where I cut off a section of the starboard tabs with the intention of making some sort of cutaway.
I recently finished the anchor well region. Definitely the most challenging area thus far. The anchor well cylinder is smaller than a dime and the anchor chain pulley is only 3/16" in diameter, and the hawsepipe has to line up with two holes.
But the big issue was keeping the cylinder circular, with 7 parts pushing against it in very cramped quarters, squishing it some. This is where someone more experienced would have had less trouble, probably. Anyone have any tips or advice for ensuring a circle keeps its shape under such circumstances? There is also the issue of the anchor well hole in the lower raft plating lining up when it is put on later. This happened to me on the deck. Good thing there is an anchor well cover! That upper section of the anchor well remained more circular, with only 4 parts against it, but it didn't line up with the holes in the deck pieces that were added later, as shown in the 3rd photo. [You can see there that I scored all the deck plate edges.]
I should stress that this misalignment is modeler error, not a design error. Any suggestions on avoiding/minimizing this sort of thing are appreciated!
Attached Thumbnails
1/100 USS Monitor-tabs-removed-cutaway.jpg   1/100 USS Monitor-bow_anchor-well.jpg   1/100 USS Monitor-bow_anchor-well-top.jpg