View Single Post

Old 04-21-2016, 03:41 PM

Total Downloaded: 5.57 MB
Hello everybody,

well begun is half done, and therefore I have courageously started with the assembly of the handles. But the insertion of the handles (Ø 0.1 mm) into the 0.1 mm narrow gap between the cover and the flange already needs getting used to, which is why it is advisable to widen the gap previously slightly with a razor blade.

This seemed to work well after several attempts, and as a spacer I've then inserted an evergreen strip 0.5 mm x 1 mm, so that the handle height is always the same. And in this state, I then glued the handle at the ends with tiny CA droplets with the acupuncture needle,

which has relatively worked well and looks already quite passable.

For safe handling I had previously reflected about a stable holder for the flange tube and had prepared a scissor tweezer with a disc (Ø 1.8 x 1 mm) so as not to make flat again the screws on the cover. And even when cutting the ends one has to ensure that the handle not fly away, which is why I glued it on a tape.

And as already mentioned, the widening of the gap before inserting the handle may be very helpful.

The insertion of of the handle into the gap was expectedly quite stressful, and I was glad when I had made it on one side without buckling the tiny fragile part. The other side then you have to direct very carefully until you hit thus into the gap. Then the spacer is inserted and the handle was gently sunk down to the stop, all pure nerve thing.

And after that was done, I could breathe easily again, and was pleased with the result.

And so the image of the A-1 is rounding itself out more and more,

and I can deal me in peace with the next handles.

Launch Pad 39A with Challenger STS-6 (1:144)