View Single Post

Old 06-27-2009, 12:19 AM

Total Downloaded: 0
the rain seems to have ceased for the moment, so I'm spraying like mad before it comes back.

I'm working on more of the details today, the BPRD logos on the grip in particular.

And now..... Paint!

Firstly, the major parts, all undecoated black. I use a auto primer matt black ( which dries satin, for some odd reason) because it dries much tougher and more durable than a cheap generic spraycan. It will need a few more coats, though.

The thing you want to acheive when painting a model this size, is not to have the whole thing just one colour. This looks flat and unintresting and not teribly realistic. So the first thing to do is make it look horrible. (bear with me..) I've stippled on a layer a gunmetal colour mixed with Citadel Chaos Black and Boltgun metal.

this was followed by a second darker stippling by adding more black to the first colour. you want about midway. The important thing with the stippling is that it be uneven, but consistent. The second layer fills in much of the area not coverd by the first.

Some blue (Regal blue, in this case) and a touch more black was added and the process repeated, a bit less intensly than the first two layers, but evening out the colour a bit more.

A warmer tone was mixed by adding a bit of mid brown with our original colour, and applied around areas of wear, like the hammer, rear and underside of the weapon.

more silver was added in a couple of steps until I had a pleasing worn effect.
These last layers were applied with more of a scrubbing motion and very little paint on the brush. the brush, by the way, is old, largish and looks like a demented spider. useless for proper painting, but great for this job.

Finally, a glaze (a semi-transparent mix of matt varnish, black and blue paint) was slopped on and wipped away untill I was happy with the overall tone.