View Single Post

Old 06-14-2016, 07:28 PM

Total Downloaded: 18.39 MB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vermin_King View Post
Beautiful work. I'm not sure to what you are referring to as 'foil'. Is it possible to post a link to the product you use?
I believe that what firdajan refers to as “foil” is similar to products sold in North America as “self-adhesive vinyl shelf and drawer liner” (Google will find it). I am in Canada and found one of the brands in a local hardware store. It comes in rolls and is very thin, peel-off vinyl sheeting on a plasticized backing paper.

I am using it on my version of the San Salvador galleon. Unfortunately the brand I could get locally doesn’t come in suitable wood grains such as firdajan uses, so I adapted the knotty pine finish as follows.

I cut off a rectangle of vinyl about 5”x8” and painted it with a matte medium brown acrylic, but let a bit of the pine grain show though for texture. (Incidentally, the vinyl accepts acrylics very well.)

Then I weathered the painted sheet by wiping on some soot weathering powder, and then just a tiny bit of white powder ditto. The result resembles firdajan’s planking (a bit darker) but is already matte because of the paint. I’ve found that by experimenting with paints and powders, I can get pretty much any wood effect, such as the pale hue of deck planking.

When applying the results to the galleon hull, I used a version of Doris’s technique for simulating the dark caulk lines between the planks. Before applying the vinyl, I painted the hull with a very dark brown acrylic such as burnt umber (not black, it’s too deep). Then I sliced the vinyl sheet into strips, scaled to the proper width of the planking.

Next, I peeled each plank/strip off its backing paper and applied it to the galleon hull, leaving a VERY fine gap between the "plank" edges so the burnt umber behind it defined the edge, just barely. The vinyl is very forgiving since it can be removed and re-positioned, but it still adheres well, although I tacked down a few exposed edges (at the galleon's flat stern for example) with a tiny bead of CA. Nothing has fallen off yet, anyway.

I haven't got to the white lead(?) anti-fouling paint below the waterline yet, but will try to use the same painting/weathering/ technique to obtain the required effect. There will be no darker caulk lines in that area though, since I believe the anti-fouling was applied right over the caulked planking seams, thus resulting in a uniform whitish finish.

Hope that helps!