View Single Post

Old 06-25-2016, 06:23 AM

Total Downloaded: 257.44 MB
wow...some great comments and critiques.
Thanks guys.

Let me respond to some things...

BurningBeard... I agree. I do try to create my Instructions based on the assembly order I have created with photos.
I use my memory as best as I can combined with the photo record.

And yes, I often put little diagrams next to sub-assembly parts, but I try to limit those because of wasted space on Parts pages.

MacSongLi... When you say 'don't change the layout"...lol which layout? This is part of my problem. I seem to have a different
layout for aircraft kits, as opposed to vehicles and boats. The Centurion instructions are a bit different to Little Willie's. And so on.

I agree, the forum walkthroughs are the best aid...but I have to create Instructions assuming they will be the only thing the builder has.

I do use the build walkthrough for my Instructions. I use them to make the drawings that you see in all my instructions.
But the vector line drawings offer very little file/data size. I have to limit photo uses to a minimum.
And I have to find ways to make them much lower resolution and quality.

One of the things I do when I compress and optimize my final PDFs, is eliminate alot of the extra things that can be buried in a PDF document.
Active text and hyperlinks, for example.
Best thing I can do is just include a weblink/address.
I already include my general domain, and anyone who visits my online store (papermodelshop) will see some downloadable photo sets.

modelperry... I never used the number order for assembly because everytime I put ordered numbers on Parts,
I would end up adding more parts, or shifting parts, or changing a design, and then my number system is all messed up!
I decided a long time ago, just to number everything at the end with a loose connection to the diagram order.
So, yes, its important to show an assembly order within the the instruction diagrams.

The Wingnuts stuff is pretty nice.
Obviously that is part of their presentation.
The Instruction/Information/History/Guide Booklets included with their kits are serious publications that make a nice addition to the model.
Keeping in mind, that the booklets are preprinted and come included with the models.

I would love to create such beautiful layouts, but I have to think about the modeller and their paper/printing costs.

But one thing is more obvious to me...maybe less on the page is a better thing.
Larger diagrams...easier to see...with more room for more details.
And don't worry so much about how many pages are used for the instructions?

SCEtoAUX...
I am going to pull a couple of the Currell instructions as reference.
If nothing else, they are very clean and orderly.
Once again, it appears as though less is more.

Herky...
I will continue to do small subassembly drawings on the parts pages, as they are necessary...and when room allows.

Loui.... I had to go back and look at the Fonts I used. There are multiple fonts, so I am unsure which ones you prefer.
Maybe that just means I have made acceptable font choices on most models? and I will continue to do the same?

My biggest issue was font size. I found a couple f times, that what looked okay on my screen, turned out to be very tiny when printed.
I'm trying to avoid that again.

Vermin...
Landscape?...I never thought about that. I wonder if that would be an acceptable option?
It gives you a bigger page to work with...or allows you to make a diagram larger on the page.
Doesn't it cause a small problem when viewing the PDF though?
Unless I make the entire kit Landscape pages.

This won't work with my cover page format though. Or with the store formats. Cover pages are usually Portrait.