View Single Post

Old 07-15-2016, 07:48 AM

Total Downloaded: 257.44 MB
10. Fit the center Former.
This is where I install the center Former.
My Former fit perfectly...but you might have to sand and trim a bit to get yours in.
A snug fit is best...not tight...just enough to form the shape of the wheel,
not enough to stretch or distort the outer parts.

Center it...get it aligned...and then put a few drops of glue here and there.
Just enough to lock it in place.

11. Pre-fold the glue tabs.
Because of the small scale size of these parts, I'm going to assemble the entire side of the Tire/Wheel.
In a larger piece, you might attach one ringed section, at a time, to the center ring.

Just like preforming the parts, it helps to preform the glue tabs.
Bend and fold the tabs into the correct position to match the part they will connect to.
With the tabs already at the correct angles, positioning the parts will be a lot easier.

12. Assemble the Hooped parts.
I assembled each side of the Tire/Wheel, made up of three parts, including the flat face center disc.
This allows you to work from the back side as well and get the best connections.

I use a glue that gives you a good grab, quick drying time, but affords some time for positioning and adjustment of parts.
Dry fitting the parts before you glue, helps you understand the fit of the parts and preplan your assembly steps.

TIP...with a build this small (scale), the tabbed Joiners can be a lot of extra material.
Not only is this causing extra "layers" of paper/card,
but the small tabs can be too long, and are actually wider than the hoops they are attaching.
As is the case with the thin outer hooped ring.
Before assembling the parts, you can trim the tabs down with scissors, cutting them a lot shorter.
You don't need much of a tab really, to glue the next part in place.
The shorter you make them, the better.

13. Burnish.
I like to try to smooth out joints and seams.
I also like to put more curve into curvy parts.

You can do this with round ended tools...of various sizes.
Just apply pressure, from the inside/backside of parts...against a hard surface, like your cutting mat.

In this case, I am mainly stretching out the small parts, to give the tire a more rounded shape.
(C130 tires have a more ballon shape to them)