View Single Post

Old 07-19-2016, 03:58 AM

Total Downloaded: 93.62 MB
Thank You-again.
Yes, I wish more people would capture the elegance of these old buildings in models. Years ago, when I wanted to build a model railroad set in the mid 70's, I had a hard time finding models that looked like they belonged here. The modern buildings offered at that time, as now, are plentiful, but trying to add a distinctive local look could be expensive. After a time, spending $50-80 dollars on the material to scratch build one structure in plastic; well, feeding kids and paying bills won out after a while.
Finding this site, and discovering this hobby, rekindled a fire. I've always been interested in history. And in every city and town, there is a lot of history in it's homes and buildings if people just look for it. I realized that some of those places that had always been there, were disappearing. Maybe this is, in some little way, my part in remembering what they once looked like (a lot of library research) and what they could be. By the way, the bakery building still stands, but not in real good shape today. That block of Main Street has been passed over by the restoration boom that's been taking place for the past several years.
So much for that.... I have had fun learning a new 'craft'. Frustrating at times, but still very enjoyable. And a lot more forgiving than styrene. I'm still learning how to layer different areas of a model to add depth to them. I built several of the Illinois buildings early on. Then, of course, started kit bashing them. Setting back the windows, trying to layer and project the cornice, I suppose you all know the routine.
Seems like I better get to work.... still a lot to learn.... MORE FUN!

Have Great Day Everyone! - George
Attached Thumbnails
Some of my builds-model-pics-06-05-2016-026.jpg