View Single Post

Old 07-30-2016, 07:13 AM

Total Downloaded: 93.62 MB
I just noticed that I had posted a picture with no mention of what it was. I'll blame it on short, stubby fingers and not brain fade..........

This was not intended to be a complete model, it was one of my experiments in building up and layering to add depth and weight to a model. My wife liked it and wanted me to finish it out. What made that a bit difficult is that the façade is as you see it from street level; the street being the only level place cut on a hill side. There are two more floors below what you see. So, as my high school art teacher would say, I took some 'artistic license' to model it as a single story building.
The reason I wanted to do the front is it is a very old building - in my subsequent research, I found it was built before 1865 - and the oldest structure still standing in that area of Louisville. It is in the 'Butchertown' neighborhood and as the name implies, was once the hub of the Derby City's bustling slaughter house and meat packing trade. Today, the old homes still sit on the upper side of the hill, while the businesses (mostly Night Clubs) are located on the down hill side.
The building was home to Wultzer meats from 1867 to 1889 before it was bought out by a bigger firm. That bigger firm became Fisher's Meats ( if your from this region of the U.S.- 'The bacon makin' people' ads and jingles are still running around your head!) The façade is built of Indiana limestone and Louisville Brick Company 'fire proof' brick. Very elegant for such a business and in a time were functionality won out over looks. All the other buildings down there were built in the 1890 to 1920's range.
The model is a bit rough, I was still (and forever will be) learning how to not only design, but put models together in a more realistic way. It is by far the largest one I've done, so far, but only hints at the true size of the prototype. One day I intend to go back and do the model again; this time a I've got a bit more experience under my belt.
Have A Great Modeling Day! - George
Attached Thumbnails
Some of my builds-model-pics-06-05-2016-022.jpg   Some of my builds-model-pics-06-05-2016-023.jpg   Some of my builds-model-pics-06-05-2016-024.jpg   Some of my builds-model-pics-06-05-2016-025.jpg