View Single Post

Old 08-03-2016, 12:20 PM

Total Downloaded: 424.90 MB
Booses Hoops

I decided to try my hand at Dave’s method of making wheels. This particular wheel is from Dave’s RAF C-130 kit (http://www.papermodelshop.com/html/hercules.html) plus the C-130 wheels add-on (http://www.papermodelshop.com/html/extras.html), which provides the tabbed joiner strips.

First, I copied and printed out Dave’s tutorial, then I printed out the wheels and joiner strips and sprayed them with UV-resistant Krylon.

I followed Dave’s lucid instructions as closely as I could. The images below tell the story. Image 5 shows the tools I used except for the medium doll eyeball sizer shown in Image 8 (Swampfox told me about these useful devices). Also in Image 8 is the Speedball printmaking carving block (rather like a large rectangular eraser) that I use for burnishing compound curves into paper. I got that idea from Shrike back when he was actively participating in the Forum. He also provided me with the stainless steel burnishing Roly-sticks (top of Image 5) that he used to sell.

Dave's methodology worked for me with no problems.

My wheel is a little lumpy, and suffers from some issues with my printer at the time, but I am persuaded that I can build these wheels and hope to eventually construct a C-130 over top of them.

Don
Attached Thumbnails
Working with Hoops - Building a Paper Wheel (C-130)-davewinfield_c-130_wheels01.jpg   Working with Hoops - Building a Paper Wheel (C-130)-davewinfield_c-130_wheels02.jpg   Working with Hoops - Building a Paper Wheel (C-130)-davewinfield_c-130_wheels03.jpg   Working with Hoops - Building a Paper Wheel (C-130)-davewinfield_c-130_wheels04.jpg   Working with Hoops - Building a Paper Wheel (C-130)-davewinfield_c-130_wheels05.jpg  

Working with Hoops - Building a Paper Wheel (C-130)-davewinfield_c-130_wheels06.jpg   Working with Hoops - Building a Paper Wheel (C-130)-davewinfield_c-130_wheels07.jpg   Working with Hoops - Building a Paper Wheel (C-130)-davewinfield_c-130_wheels08.jpg