View Single Post

Old 09-15-2016, 07:42 AM

Total Downloaded: 553.70 MB
Hi All,

Ever since I was a kid, I’ve always liked searchlights. The first time I stood next to one in operation, (in the middle of the last century), I was impressed by the machinery, the heat, the noise, and the seemingly endless beam of light making its way to the heavens. The purpose-built trailer carried both the searchlight and the growling generator that supplied all the needed electrical power.

In those days, searchlights used carbon arc lamps to create their beam of light. Basically, a carbon arc lamp produces its light between two electrically charged carbon rods. The electricity flowing into the rods is so great that even though the rods are not touching, a brilliant arc of light occurs in free air. This incredibly hot and bright light would be reflected into space by a 60 inch silvered, parabolic reflector, all the while dumping out vast amounts of UV light. The first practical electric light, carbon arc lights are rarely used these days, being replaced by Xenon Arc lamps.

When I first heard of a paper model searchlight from the Spanish Civil War era, I wanted to build it, sight unseen. Tom Greensfelder had one in his collection, and he graciously sent me a scan. Designed by the prolific Pedro Sabidon Feliu, I was quite surprised when I saw the model. To say it is “colorful” would be an understatement. Printed in bold, primary colors, Tom said that the original is printed on coated paper, making it even more electrifying to the eye.

Published by the heretofore unknown Talleres Graficos Marsiega of Madrid, this may be a later reprint of a model produced by one of the better known publishers seen in this thread. Titled the Reflector, the model does not have the look of a wartime searchlight. The vivid colors make it more appropriate for advertising a carnival than spotlighting an incoming bomber. But I like the model all the same, as it adds a splash of color to my shelves.

Real searchlights of the time were rather delicate affairs, with a multi-piece glass face that often covered an array of vertical shutters used for signaling, as seen on this model. Also, there was a clockwork or electric mechanism that drove the two steadily deteriorating carbon rods together so that the gap between them remained constant. I would call the model more of a wagon than a trailer, with its yellow, wooden deck in company with four red, green and blue steel wheels. It must have been a jarring ride for the fragile components of the searchlight. But, this is not the first time a designer has put pen to paper without understanding the thing he is drawing.

A fairly easy build, the Reflector is a welcome addition to my growing Guerra Civil collection. Thanks, Tom

Score and fold,

Thumb Dog
Attached Thumbnails
Paper Models as Propaganda During the Spanish Civil War-img_4459.jpg   Paper Models as Propaganda During the Spanish Civil War-img_4461.jpg   Paper Models as Propaganda During the Spanish Civil War-img_4463.jpg   Paper Models as Propaganda During the Spanish Civil War-img_4464.jpg   Paper Models as Propaganda During the Spanish Civil War-img_4470.jpg  

Paper Models as Propaganda During the Spanish Civil War-img_4474.jpg   Paper Models as Propaganda During the Spanish Civil War-reflector.jpg