View Single Post

Old 09-20-2016, 06:45 AM

Total Downloaded: 40.04 MB
Thanks to you all for your kind words, this project is going to turn into an EPIC enterprise! But I have every intention to keep working on it to the very end!
@Bengt: regarding the final aspect of the surfaces look to the rest of this post: you'll be pretty satisfied (I think) Talking about the mid deck I'm not planning - for now - to continue the build after the floor. This doesn't imply that, in future, an expansion won't be considered. The final model will be, in my plans, like a cake slice. Could be considered as a "modular" model. Who knows? We shall end with a 1:16 complete shuttle model!

But let's go on with my last efforts...

During last days, before starting to deal with the external fuselage, I have played a bit with instrument panels.

Thorsten's details are very good for a 1:48 scale but I needed something more so I decided to redraw all the surfaces from scratch. I pasted rescaled diagrams taken from NASA original handbooks on the panel outline (see photos) and started outlining every detail, from the first screw to the last gauge... I know that the detail level I'm trying to achieve is far too high even for a 1:16 model but, as you consider that the drawings are all vector graphics, the work done is not useless because it can be printed at any scale without any detail loss. So, one day, someone could even decide to make a real size shuttle cockpit and my files will be completely suitable!

In the images you see my first 3 panels (O1, O2 and O3) compared with the original from Thorsten's model, and a little enlarged O2 section compared with a photo from the real Endeavour panel. The real photo is somewhat distorted because it comes from a 360° panorama.
Attached Thumbnails
1:16 Space Shuttle flight deck-ovr.tot.jpg   1:16 Space Shuttle flight deck-ovr.wip.jpg   1:16 Space Shuttle flight deck-ovr.z1.jpg   1:16 Space Shuttle flight deck-ovr.z2.jpg   1:16 Space Shuttle flight deck-o2.img.jpg