View Single Post

Old 10-16-2016, 09:31 AM

Total Downloaded: 27.71 MB
Re-working this design.

Learning how to TIG aluminum, to create a new "power skid" system for the batteries, fuel tank, radio and engine mount. The wood one will not work, for very long. The vibration from the engine cycle will destroy it in short order.

Saved for two years to buy a TIG welder, which I purchased last April. This might take some time to learn, the last try found me blowing holes through the aluminum practice pieces.

The practice piece was fairly thick compared to what the final mount and skid will be. A very good TIG welder friend mentioned it is best to practice on steel first and then switch to aluminum once able to work the filler into the weld puddle. Said that if I'm waiting to see the puddle form with the aluminum, then it is already to late and holes will develop....

Guess my stick welding skills are not helping!

After creating the power skid using aluminum, the model will grow in size - more room for fuel tank, etc., and the additional weight should help with the excess power available.

A final addition will be a landing gear setup. Was originally planning a catapult launch, but now with all the power available, it makes sense to burn some of the fuel on takeoff.

Another system that will be added, a fuel line shutoff that can be shutdown during flight.

Final changes will look at the wing spars; they will be changed to an easier method of construction.

Project will be a part time endeavor; working with a local group of people to incorporate a new city where my home is.

Nikiski is not a legal city, but should be. Since joining the group you will find me at the computer researching and then creating maps/signs. This was done at the same time as getting signatures to put a petition on the next ballot. Now that we have the amount needed we move into the next stage, which is controlled by several agencies.

In other words, this will be a very slow project to get to the completion stage.

Mike