Thread: Real aluminium
View Single Post

Old 11-03-2016, 10:04 AM

Location: Northern Bear Flag Republic (Known as Water World in L.A.)
Total Downloaded: 11.99 MB
On Aluminum Tooling Foil

Quote:
Originally Posted by busoramas View Post
Gil, fantastic work on your aluminium parts, I was thinking almost the same for the canopy of the propellers, did you finish your model?

I tried a thiker aluminium and epoxi glue, also roll the surface after the "dots" and paint joint with water color pens, I think this is the best technic.
But I dont know witch model should I build like that, P-51? P38? B25? Mig-15?...

regards
Paul,

No I haven't finished the model - I am still developing technique(s) required to build one using 0.005" aluminum tooling foil.

I am currently working on a process that allows high resolution inkjet printing on aluminum foil by first anodizing the aluminum surface. This is a bit "out of the range" of most modelers but I find it fun to push the border a bit too far every once in a while just "to have a peak" to see if it will actually work. Always one for learning from deep failure mode I have become accustomed to it as a learning style...,

Another item is learning the art of forming the foil into compound curves "with" rivet and panel line detail followed by applying those panels to a model "airframe" - just like the full scale subject only scaled down. The panels can be decorated before application as in the anodized inkjet solution or afterward - the traditional mask, paint and decal work.

What intrigues me about the anodizing/inkjet solution is its ability to withstand the compound curve forming process. Applying computer generated artwork on the aluminum sheet prior to cutting and forming aggregates some of the best techniques to decorate a model laser cut airframe.

On bonding a prepared aluminum surface I recommend "Loctite" brand, Ultra Gel Control. It is a rubberized CyanoAcrylate (CA) with a unique dispensing system that allows micro dot control and does not brick-out if not used over long periods. I have found it the best bonding agent for aluminum to aluminum bonds. It is widely available in the glue section of department through hardware stores. I use it as an all purpose glue around the house.

Best,

-Gil