Thread: Real aluminium
View Single Post

Old 11-04-2016, 11:42 AM

Location: Northern Bear Flag Republic (Known as Water World in L.A.)
Total Downloaded: 11.99 MB
Print on Aluminum Surface

Quote:
Originally Posted by busoramas View Post
I have seen the models from Young C. before, they inspired me to use real aluminium, but his models are in a big scale witch its more "easy" to buid them but in 1:33 scale its another world
The smaller scale is the main reason I chose the "printing on aluminum" route. Below is from an experiment series wherein an inkjet coating was developed that allowed printing onto an aluminum foiled card stock (complete with thumb print). The lines are straight from a CAD drawing transferred onto the aluminum via the inkjet printer. The idea is that rivet detail could be modified with a graphics drawing package for an improved effect. An issue with the inkjet coating is that is not waterproof and has to be sprayed with a sealer which has a dulling effect on the "look" of the aluminum. The anodized inkjet printing method in contrast has greater durability though dulled somewhat by anodizing process is still the lead contender in the ongoing quest.

Printing rivet detail on the surface at least tells you where the rivet detail needs to go.

Rojas Bazan's technique is more in line with the build direction.

-Gil